Essential Qualities Of Successful NYC Small Businesses
Written by Don Seckler on October 9, 2015 in Blog
So you’re planning to start a small business in New York City. Or maybe you’ve started your business recently. You’re overwhelmed with everything you need to do to make sure your business is a success. Running a business is similar to parenting a child. Just as parents do with children, you have to nurture the business, provide it with all the essentials it needs to grow, work with it, all the while guiding it to grow into a successful, mature entity.
Here are just a few of the essential qualities your business needs in order to be successful:
- Understanding of your Industry. New York City boasts a highly competitive business environment. That’s good for the economy, but may not be so good for your business. Just about any product or service you can name is bound to have some competition. Yours needs to be more, better, or different. Make sure you understand what your chosen industry needs, what is already being offered, and how you can top it. The key word here is research. Make sure you do your due diligence and learn all you can before you get going.
- Brand Awareness Building. Having a brand that people recognize is one major key to success. Think of all the logos you can name, even if they don’t have any identifying words with them. The Nike swish, the Apple logo (with one bite removed), and the Twitter bird come immediately to mind. While your business may never rise to such a grand scale, you want your brand to be immediately recognizable to potential customers, especially in your industry.
- Relationship Building and Nurturing. Successful businesses build relationships with their customers. Of course you want sales, because it takes money to survive and thrive. But the best business owners know that they will go a lot further in sales if they treat their customers well. That means offering exemplary customer service, being a resource for clients, and sometimes giving your clients something for free. Think about things like referring your clients to others who they may be able to help. Givers gain, and you’ll find that your sales will increase when you treat your customers like they important resources that they are.
- Adaptability. You’re going to be an entrepreneur for the next 5, 10, 20 years—probably until you’re ready to retire—which, if you’re a true entrepreneur, may be never! Anyone who has seen how much the scope of business has changed in the last 20 years can’t help but know that it will continue to evolve. You have to change with it. While you’re buried in the day-to-day workings of your business, sometimes you can lose sight of the fact that you have to look ahead to the long-term as well.
- Flexibility. One of the biggest changes in the business landscape is the way it is performed day-to-day. While local businesses still have their place, it’s not uncommon to have clients across the globe. In addition, it’s no longer a 9-5 world, and it’s no longer necessary to do all of your work from an office. New business owners and employees often do work from their home, coffee shops, or shared office spaces. Shared office space gives you such things as a business address, phone answering support, access to meeting rooms, and a professional receptionist.
Take heed of these five points, they can help you grow your business and be more successful in New York City.
Click here to see available premier office spaces in New York City.
View Virgo Business Centers 5 Midtown Manhattan locations: Midtown, Midtown East, Grand Central Terminal, Empire State Building and Penn Station.